Hi I’m Dave Brough, an Award Winning brewer based in Australia – welcome to my consultancy service for breweries and the craft brewing industry.
I have over 20 years experience in brewing, holding positions as Head Brewer, Impact Brewer, Sales, Operations Manager, and Brewery Manager.
I now provide my expertise to brewers and breweries on a consultancy basis.
What I can help you with:
I love making great beer! And these are some of the things I can offer:
Brewing consultancy. I can help by looking at your brewing process and procedures: from raw materials to the quality of the beer at the bar, along with microbiological checks, analytical testing of products and hygiene monitoring. I have been producing superior quality beer for over two decades, including many award-winning beers (49 to be precise) and several Champion Beers of Britain.
Who can I help? Craft breweries, Microbreweries, Brew-houses, Commercial breweries . Startup breweries. Breweries that want to expand. Breweries that are stuck with a particular problem. I have over 20 years experience and I’ve probably already come across any problem you are experiencing.
Brewing Formulations. I can create new formulations, review your current ones, and provide advice on refinements.
Breweries. I can help you design and commission a new brewery, your next brewery, discuss a problem what’s happening inside your brewery, got a problem? book an hour with me. Brewery layout and commissioning.
Mentoring. I can come to your brewery on-site and help you brew better, create new brews, show you more advanced techniques, show you optimisations that don’t compromise quality, do trial brews with you.
I’ve brewed craft ales, lagers, porters, stout, IPAs, sour, dark, pale, wheat, smoked, German, Belgian, American, Czech, English, top fermentation, bottom fermentation, and many more sub types.
I love brewing and enjoying beer.
Read my experience and awards below, or if you’d like to contact me use the following:
How to contact me:
t: 0419 840 944
I live in Essendon, Victoria, Australia.
I have a proven track record of brewing great beers, winning 49 awards:
2013. Australian International Beer Awards (A.I.B.A) winner
Silver Medals x 3
Bronze x 3
Silver Medals x 3;
Bronze x 5
Silver Medals x 3
Bronze x 4
Silver Medals x3
Bronze x 7
Silver Medals x 2
Bronze x 4
Silver Medals x 5
Bronze x 7
– Comprehensive knowledge of traditional, modern and novel brewing practices.
– Complete familiarity with all aspects of brewing operations from raw material handling/processing, brewhouse operations, CiP regimen, fermentation management, yeast husbandry, filtration (D.E/plate and frame) and product blending to packaging operations, sterile filtration and aseptic filling.
– Excellent routine/extra ordinary laboratory based analytical skills ranging from CO2 and D.O measurements, yeast evaluations, bitterness, colour and haze quantification through to pack line due diligence and physical and sensory appraisal of final product.
– Experience in production of both bright and bottle/cask conditioned products.
– Extensive experience in formulating/re-formulating brew recipes. Well versed in successfully scaling pilot brews (20-50 L) up to commercial volumes (150 hL).
– Industry recognition of beers produced/formulated (as judged by peers) at the Australian International Beer Awards.
– Vast experience in the planning, installation, commissioning of breweries and brewery equipment. Complete familiarity with design, install and equipping of modern brewery laboratory.
– Experience in a range of brewing environments from small, labour intensive operations to fast paced, challenging production environments such as contract brewing operations.
– Experience in implementing complete Standard Operational Procedure systems and Quality Assurance programmes. Extensive experience in production planning and requirements.
– Ability to co-ordinate and focus a team of individuals to production requirements and in implementation of policy, including training programmes, meeting schedules OH&S procedures.
– Ability to tutor/mentor staff in practical and theoretical aspects of brewing operations.
– Experience of purchasing and controlling large inventories of plant items.Ability to lead and motivate production and management teams.
– Experience in staff performance reviews, including goal setting, development plans and salary reviews.
Brewing Industry Experience
2016 onwards. Brewing Industry Consultant / Impact Brewer / Sales
Diversified role covering design, installation and commissioning/impact brewing for brewery manufacturer based in Asia. 6, 12 & 18 hL turnkey N.S.W; 25 hL turnkey Hong Kong; 24 hL turnkey Melbourne. Automated and manual systems. Briefs often include staff training/mentoring, troubleshooting and product formulation.
sales and technical advisor within Australasia.
Icon Brewing, Sydney – 2014-16
Head Brewer. Contract brewer catering primarily for the craft/boutique market – semi automated 150 hL brewhouse, 3000 hL cellar, ‘brite’ & u/f beer, small pack (glass & can), keg & bulk transfer.
Indian Ocean Brewing Company, Perth 2012-14
Head Brewer. Considerably sized ‘Brew-pub’ – 25 hL brewhouse, 180 hL cellar; ‘brite’ beer; small pack, keg and cask capabilities.
The Three Ravens Brewing Company, Melbourne 2010-11
Head Brewer. An established ‘boutique’ brewery consisting of 15 hL electric brewhouse; 90 hL cellar; small pack, keg and cask capabilities (secondary conditioning process).
Island Brewing Company (Fiji) 2009
Head Brewer. New brewery install, Nadi, Fiji. 30 hL steam heated brewhouse; 400 hL capacity cellar; small pack and draught operations – all brite beer.
Australian Independent Brewers, Sydney 2005-08
Operations Manager, Head Brewer, QA & QC Lab Manager. High output contract brewing facility consisting of steam fed 50 hL brewhouse ; 1,800 hL capacity cellar; small pack and draught operations; producing ~ 700 hL per week of brite/secondary conditioned beer and 100 hL R.T.D product.
Malt Shovel Brewery (Australia) 2004-05
Brewer. Melbourne brewpub. 8 hL brewhouse; 16 hL cellar; draught operations only (keg and BBT); producing 8 hL per week.
Allied Breweries (United Kingdom) 1995-98
Senior Brewer in UK wide roll-out of Firkin Breweries: 8 – 10 hL brewhouses; approx 100 hL cellar; (keg and BBT); producing approx 50 hL per week of secondary conditioned product.
– Member of The Institute of Brewing and Distilling – Asia Pacific section
– 2005 Bachelor of Science degree (Food Science/Brewing) – University of Ballarat. RW Richards Award recipient for academic excellence throughout undergraduate study within the entire Faculty of Science
I provide remote consultancy by Video Conferencing, for example if you need an hour of technical support over Skype … fee $115/hour AUD.
I provide on-site brewing consultancy, where I can arrange a number of days/weeks to be at your brewery providing direct advice, help, and problem solving, developing solutions … fee $800/day AUD and you my pay travel & stay & subsistence.
I am generally booked up quite significantly so please contact me in advance to discuss what you need.
Generally payment is due 100% in advance by bank transfer or Paypal.
For on-site consultancy payment terms please contact me to discuss.